Saturday, May 4, 2013

Of Socks And Clouds

I am learning to knit socks on a pair of size 2 circular needles.  I was told it's easier than using double points. Since I'd never done either before, I had nothing to compare it to.  I will say I had a little bit of a learning curve at the beginning and really didn't understand the love of knitting socks.  First of all, I've never knitted anything on such small needles.  Secondly, it take some getting used to having an extra needle attached and hanging around so closely while you're knitting.  This is different than when you use a cable needle, because you can move the cable needle out of the way pretty easily.  The 'extra' circular requires holding your work differently; it feels awkward and bulky at first, but you eventually figure it out and get into the groove.  Getting set up, knitting the first few rows, and learning how to move the yarn correctly after every half row was a pain in the butt.  I'm not going to sugar coat it.  I will say that now that I've gotten the hang of it, I do enjoy it.  It helps that my yarn is so pretty.  Meet Little Blue.  (Yes, I've named this yarn).



It's so strange for me to have two active projects.  I feel like I'm cheating on the afghan, and yet I just can't quit Little Blue.  The nice thing is when my hands get tired of knitting on the little needles I can switch over to the 13 US and it's like knitting on clouds.

Exhibits A & B:




2 comments:

Fabiknits said...

Are you doing the magic loop technique? It's the best!
Can't wait to see pics of the socks!

Neeners said...

Nope, no magic loop. I have no idea what you call this method except confusing at first.