Sunday, October 19, 2008

Aw, Knots!

I guess this happens to every knitter sooner rather than later. Their first experience with knots in the skein. I hadn't experienced it until I bought some yarn for a scarf I'm making for my friend for her birthday. The yarn is Patons Shetland Chunky. It's a wool/acrylic blend. It's not scratchy, and I absolutely love knitting with it. I don't love, however, that the first skein I knitted from was a tangled/knotted mess. It had both ends in the center. Usually there is one on the outside and in the center. What a pain! I spent almost as much time trying to untangle the yarn and then make a ball as I did actually knitting that skein!

One of the ladies in the knitting group at work told me she always knits from the outside. For some reason I thought, "how messy!", but she's totally right. From now on I will pull the yarn from the outside and hopefully avoid the knots. I can't be bothered with knots - there's tons of knitting to do!

I'm finally almost done with this scarf. I'm knitting from the back for the first time, so when I have to tink it's taking me a while to find out how to tink that stitch. I've accidentally twisted or dropped and have had to go back a full row to fix it. I'm not used to how the stitch looks - knits and purls, on the other hand, are easy. But I really love the pattern and think with this yarn it looks great. I hope my friend likes it. It's the scarf I like the look of the most so far...and it will be my fifth scarf! Wow! I actually finished five things. Who'd a thunk it? Six if you count the dish cloth (which I barely do). I still have four scarves and two hats to go before Christmas, i think. And with the weather cooling down this weekend I really wanted to start on an afghan. Lots to do!

Keep on knittin'!

No comments: