Sunday, March 31, 2013

Old Posts And Gauge

I hate gauge.  I always seem to screw it up somehow or another.  So when I read my last post about from FOUR YEARS AGO about how I was going to be knitting a skull hat for my hubby I had to wipe a tear away...from laughter.

I remember this hat.  Gauge is the reason I remember this hat.  At that point I had mostly been making scarves, so when I tried doing a swatch or two of gauge for the hat and it wasn't right, I guessed as to the size of the needles that would be needed to obtain the gauge and I went for it.  I threw caution to the wind and just started knitting away.  I impressed myself with the ability to do color work.  I loved working with the soft yarn and seeing the skulls grow row after row.  When I was done it looked awesome.  Except for one small detail - it was really freakin' huge.  The gauge.  The damn gauge.

So now what was I supposed to do?  I had to search for someone with a big head.  I thought and thought about it and decided I needed to give it to my friend with the afro; surely it would fit her head.  I gave it to her on her birthday and it looked like she was wearing a shower cap.  In fact, I think I suggested to her to wear it in the shower.


No comments: