Sunday, March 31, 2013

Tight vs. Loose

I've always been a tight knitter.  Always.  So recently when I was making a friend a hat, I swatched it, saw the count was off a little, and immediately went to larger needles without giving it any thought.  I started knitting the easy rolled brim hat, just whistling away while I worked.  OK, that would be true if I actually knew how to whistle.  I whistled in my head -  how's that?  The point is, I was enjoying a very easy pattern (Holly Hat on Ravelry) and I love seeing how quickly the hats progress.

After I was weaving in the ends, I noticed that the hat was big.  I have a big head and it was loose on me.  Now normally I wouldn't probably send such a big hat, but the yarn is super soft and I actually think it will work quite nicely for someone going through chemo.  I'll take a pic and add it after I block it.  If worse comes to worse, I'll keep it for my own big head since I don't know what hap

Somewhere along the line I've started knitting more loosely.  I have no idea when, but I like that I have because now I might actually use needles that patterns call for, rather than 2-3 sizes bigger... which means less swatching.  A win-win any way you look at it.

No comments: