Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Online vs. Store




We don't have a car, so up until about a week ago I've only gotten my yarn online (or when a coworker went to a Michael's near her home and bought me my blanket super skein). The nice thing about buying online is that you can find some great deals, and you can pick what you need pretty quickly. Online has worked for me for the most part. I've had one case of getting the wrong dye lot on one ball of yarn when I ordered multiple balls of what was supposed to be the same color. It took a while to get it rectified, but they sent me the correct dye lot to match the other two balls...and they even let me keep the wrong one. So basically, online has been pretty OK.

Fast-forward to about a week ago when I was traveling for work. One of my coworkers is a crafter (makes soap and lotion) and mentioned he needed to get some ribbon. I don't ever rent a car when I travel for work, so he offered to take me to Joann Fabrics after work one day so that I could look at the yarn and he could check out the ribbon.

Oh dear.

I used to laugh when I read about people oohing and ahhing when they talked about touching yarn. I even read about someone who smells it (you know who you are). I thought it was funny and eccentric. I thought the people were a little obsessed. Perhaps they were a just a tiny bit crazy? I was wrong. That or I'm one of the obsessed crazy ones. I'd rather think I was wrong, frankly.

Walking into that store reminded me of going to Vegas the first time. So many colors! So many textures! So many accessories! Goodness gracious, I was in heaven. I picked up a basket and away I went. I ended up buying about a dozen skeins of various yarns. I also got three new sets of needles and a storage container (collapsible fabric one). How I managed to fit all that yarn in my carry on is still a mystery to me, but I did it. I'm glad I only had a basket to fill up and not a cart.

Keep on knittin'!

No comments: